Panic: spin lock smp rendezvous ... held too long

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Fri Mar 9 23:47:05 UTC 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 03:41, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 12:44:03AM +0100, Eirik ?verby wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just installed 6.2-RELEASE on a Supermicro 6013P-8 server, a dual
>> P4-Xeon 2.4ghz with 4GB ECC memory and an asr driven SCSI RAID
>> controller.
>>
>> It has been working OK (although I suspect the asr driven, being
>> giant-locked, is very inefficient) for a little while, but as I was
>> extracting a bunch of tarballs it paniced like so:
>>
>> spin lock smp rendezvous held by 0xc9d54600 for > 5 seconds
>> panic: spin lock held too long
>> cpuid = 0
>>
>> I don't have a dump device (though I'm setting that up for the next
>> reboot). However, I have tried turning off HT, to see if that might
>> help.
>>
>> Does this look familiar to anyone? Or do I need to produce more data
>> if it happens again?
>
> It can mean that something deadlocked.  Turning on WITNESS may help to
> debug this, although it has a large performance impact.

I can't turn on WITNESS here "just like that", as I'll need some time
to find a replacement server for some critical applications. However,
the strange thing is that this server has been running solid as a
rock (not one single crash) for 2 years with FreeBSD 4.x on it, so I
am fairly sure there is no hardware issue.

It crashed today, and I have obtained a dump. I am running 6.2-
RELEASE with the stock SMP kernel, and haven't recompiled yet, so I
can't seem to find a kernel.debug, but I'm building one now with the
6.2-RELEASE sources, as supplied on the CD. I'm assuming this will
give me a useable kernel.debug.

Anything in particular I should look for if/when I'm able to peek
into the dump with kgdb?

thanks,
/Eirik