Some Unix benchmarks for those who are interesed

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Mar 9 20:41:20 UTC 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Eric Anderson wrote:
>> I've got a VIA C3 Samuel myself, and it is fine for what it is,
>> which is a low-power clone of the Pentium-MMX in terms of
>> capabilities; the  newer C3 Nehemiah is roughly comparable to a
>> P2, plus SSE and the extra AES/RNG crypto stuff.  Look at dmesg or
>> cpuid and compare CPU  features.
>
> I'm pretty familiar with C3 and C7 chips.
>
> I wouldn't compare performance of a CPU based on CPU features.

Of course not-- but then, I said "capabilities", not performance.

If you'd like to compare performance, choose a task or benchmark
which matters to you, and go from there.  The comparisons I have done
suggests a 200MHz PPro will do a "make buildworld" faster than a
600MHz C3 Samuel, for example.  YMMV, and I'd rather not debate this
matter further if you feel strongly about it...

--
-Chuck