panic in ATA (atacontrol reinit ata2)

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Fri Mar 9 05:42:19 UTC 2007

Hello!

I can reinit the ata0 (no devices) and ata1 (a single DVD drive) without any
problems -- they are both IDE (PATA).

Reinit-ing ata2 (with one SATA drive) hangs the machine solid. Most of the
time...

This one time, however, it paniced and dumped core instead of hanging. Here is
the debugging session (something is wrong with most of the stack):

	http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/ata-crash-kgdb.txt

Let me know, if you need the contents of other variables...

I'm using 6.2-STABLE/amd64 as of March 2nd on a quad-core Opteron system with
4Gb of RAM.

The system and home drives are SCSI, but this 500Gb one is where I keep my
backups, pictures, and videos... The drive has recently developed a nasty
habit of detaching (maybe, due to heat?) -- but interrogating it with
smartmontools does not show any errors... Either way, the kernel is not
supposed to panic -- there is not even any swap on the drive.

Thanks!

	-mi