Some Unix benchmarks for those who are interesed

Fluffles etc at fluffles.net
Thu Mar 8 17:34:29 UTC 2007

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Fluffles wrote:
>

>> The bonnie Per Char-benchmark is often bottlenecked by the CPU since it
>> requires either a lot of cpu power or a lot of memory activity; both
>> which puts demands on the cpu. If i see only 0.5MB in the Per
>> Char-benchmark, i would suspect a slow CPU. Slow is a relative term
>> though; C3 can be powerful enough for the task you bought it, so i don't
>> want to discredit it.
>>

> I'm really puzzled by your high per-char results in bonnie++. Can you
> run it on a single disk? I've run it many times, both on hardware and
> software RAIDs and have never seen results > 1 MB/s on FreeBSD (Linux is
> a different matter...)

Sure:

single drive (ad6, Maxtor MaxLine III 250GB SATA/150)
              -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential Input--
--Random--
              -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block---
--Seeks---
Machine    MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU
/sec %CPU
         20480 56395 42.7 55904 12.8 21497  5.9 56846 54.3 58328  8.2
81.2  0.3

Here the CPU is not the bottleneck but the disk itself. CPU is AMD
Athlon 64 3800+ (dualcore, 2.0GHz, 2x512KB cache, S939, 2x1GB DDR/400).
Maybe you are running a patched bonnie? By the way i'm not using
bonnie++ but the 'original' bonnie. Maybe that changes things a bit?
>From all the benchmarks i've seen and all that i've performed myself,
i've never seen that low per char scores like you. I cannot explain it
except maybe a *very* slow CPU or some other obscure software issue.

- Veronica