Background process

sthomas at nerim.net sthomas at nerim.net
Thu Mar 8 13:20:45 UTC 2007

Hello,

I connect to my freebsd box via ssh using putty from a WindowsXP
workstation, I want to run a process on the freebsd box, then close my ssh
session (closing putty) while keeping the process running.

So I run my process like this : # myprogram &, then I exit the shell.

But when I do that, I can see with ps that my process go from "TT" "p0" to
"TT" "p0-" and the application doesn't work anymore. For information, the
program I want to be able to run via ssh then close the ssh session is the
moinmoin wiki which is a wiki written in python.

In man ps I can see that the trailing "-" after "p0" means my process can
no longer reach the controlling terminal... But what can I do to achieve
my goal ?