DNS/Bind Error Help under FBSD 6.2 using Sendmail..

Buki dev at null.cz
Wed Mar 7 23:15:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:24:07AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

> > I am seeing an issue with some eMail moving from the server here is one such
> > example:
> >
> > l25F3FJW082596    96337 Mon Mar  5 10:03 <bfondak at kpl.com>
> >                  (Deferred: Name server: mail.jingmei.com.: host name lookup
> > f)
> >                                          <order_bj at jingmei.com>
> >                                          <mlin at jingmei.com>
> >

> > OK, so I did a lookup of it's MX, and get:
> >
> > jingmei.com mail is handled by 10 mail.jingmei.com
> >

> > So then I looked up mail.jingmei.com:
> >
> > mail.jingmei.com has address 220.112.41.223
> > Host mail.jingmei.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
> >
> > I see I am getting a returned IP address which can be connected to, but also
> > SERVFAIL error.
> >
> > Now I am aware of the AAAA IPv6 issue, and have the needed setting in my
> > sendmail.cf file:
> >
> > O ResolverOptions=WorkAroundBrokenAAAA
> >
> > So I would have hoped this would have worked around the issue and permitted
> > mail flow, yet apparently not for some reason.
> >
> > I have googled and looked around, and maybe just not found the right info yet
> > ,
> > but if anyone has any idea how to track this down, or resolve the issue it
> > would sure be most appreciated.
> >
> > Most of my mail moves fine, but I have a couple domains I am guessing have
> > something wrong, so I can't seem to get mail out to them...

Hi,

I'm seeing the same error even on older versions of FreeBSD (thus sendmail).
I also tracked the issue to SERVFAIL response to AAAA request.
According to sendmail docs, the WorkAroundBrokenAAAA option should work as
a workaround, but clearly doesn't. Compiling sendmail with NO_INET6=yes does.

Setting mailertable entry for (broken) destination domain to relevant IPv4
address should also work (athough not tested).

I haven't searched sendmail archives, but since it's mentioned in the docs ...

Buki
--
PGP public key: http://dev.null.cz/buki.asc

                /"\