Bridging problems on IP address conflict

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Mar 7 18:07:26 UTC 2007

Eduardo Meyer wrote:
 > Peter Jeremy wrote:
 > > Eduardo Meyer wrote:
 > > > bridge0: flags=8043<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 > > >       ether ac:de:48:df:0d:8c
 > > >       priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15 maxage 20
 > > >       member: fxp0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
 > > >       member: em0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
 > > >
 > > > bridge1: flags=8043<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 > > >       ether ac:de:48:fe:cd:41
 > > >       priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15 maxage 20
 > > >       member: xl1 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
 > > >       member: xl0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
 > > >
 > > > And my system constantly reports:
 > > >
 > > > arp: 00:13:20:1c:33:22 is using my IP address XX.YY.ZZ.KK!
 > > >
 > > > several (thoundsands of) times. In fact this ARP is my own fxp0
 > > > interface, and this is the only interface that has this IP. What
 > > > should I do? Ass IP on the bridge0 interface instead of the fxp0
 > > > bridge member? Or anything else?
 > > [...]
 > > This may be indicative of a loop in your switch network - is there any
 > > way that packets leaving fxp0 can re-appear on em0, xl0 or xl1?
 >
 > 5.5-STABLE system. The topology:
 >
 > - em0 and xl0 crossover (straight from router) to freebsd bridge
 > - fxp0 and xl1 on a common switch (maybe causing a loop?)

Yes, that's a loop.  Packets leaving fxp0 can be sent back
by the switch to your xl1.  You should fix your topology.

Best regards
   Oliver

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs."
        -- Robert Firth