portsnap and cvsup for rebuilding world - Which one?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Mar 4 10:34:11 UTC 2007

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2007, at 22:23 , frzburn wrote:
>
>> So here come my questions:
>> Is portsnap syncing the sources correctly for rebuilding world, or must I
>> use cvsup?
>> If so, of what use is portsnap if I must use cvsup for synchronizing my
>> source?

There's more than one way to do it.  Which alternative you choose is
largely a matter of personal taste, convenience and if it supports the
particular features you need.  portsnap and csup are only the latest
additions to the whole shebang.  Before that there was sup  -- but
support for that has entirely gone now I believe; ctm which was (still
is?) a means of receiving CVS deltas via e-mail, as well as such things
as anon-cvs and rsync, bittorrent and plain old HTTP or FTP.

> It's a little out of date; instead of cvsup, you use csup which is in
> the base system (and only supports updating the base system, hence
> portsnap).

Uh, no.  csup will let you grab ports, docs, www or whatever else is
available through any of the cvsup collections.  Or any other cvsup
collections you might choose to create yourself.

So long as the output is a checked out tree of stuff, csup operates
practically identically to cvsup.  The difference comes if you want
to replicate an entire cvs repository, for which you still need the
original modula-3 based cvsup.  Or if you want to serve any sort of
cvsup collection -- csup is client side only.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW