rc.d scripts not honoring rc_conf_files setting in /etc/rc.conf?

Peter Losher plosher at plosh.net
Wed Jun 27 01:20:02 UTC 2007

Hi,

Testing out decentralizing rc.conf and breaking it out into two
components on a 6.2-RELEASE system:

/etc/rc.conf.default	- Settings that are standard across all systems
			  (daemons, etc)
/etc/rc.conf.local 	- Settings that are local to the system
			  (network settings, etc)

In /etc/rc.conf, all I have is:

rc_conf_files="/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.default /etc/rc.conf.local"

Which I took as "read in these rc.conf files in descending order to
populate your variables"

When I restarted the system, my rc.d (ntpd, openssh) scripts which were
looking for rc.conf variables in /etc/rc.conf.default failed to read in
that file.  It wasn't until I added /etc/rc.conf.default to
rc_conf_files in /etc/defaults/rc.conf was it able to read in that file
 at boottime and in this case start the daemon(s).

Is this how it's supposed to work?  (I suspect not if I have to hack
/etc/default/rc.conf)  If not, can it be fixed? (or if I am assuming
incorrectly, can someone enlighten me on how it should work?) :)

Thanks - Peter
--
[ http://www.plosh.net/ ] - "Earth Halted: Please reboot to continue"