ctype locale: Invalid argument

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Sat Jun 23 00:38:57 UTC 2007

Hello,
I've been struggling with an error in a perl program I've been working on.
Actually, I'm attempting to convert and enhance the freebsd man page cgi
program - convert it to PHP and add some additional features. BUT, before
I make the conversion I wanted to eliminate an error that the original perl
version emits - ctype locale: Invalid argument.

I've spent several days searching for an answer. On the FBSD mailing list
I found only one reference. But it was Solaris related. Given that MAN(1)
gets this information from ENV(1). I ran LOCALE(1) with no args and received
the following:

LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

Given I'm on the west coast of the US (-700). Is the above output correct?
Should I have added something to MAKE.CONF(5) before build kernel && build
world? Am I even on the right track here?

Thank you for all your time and consideration.

--Chris

--
panic: kernel trap (ignored)