unionfs6-p19-20070504 and devfs on a very recent 6.2-STABLE

Kurt Jaeger lists at c0mplx.org
Tue Jun 19 19:37:17 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm using unionfs on a recently (approx. 5 days ago) cvsup'ed
6.2-STABLE with the

http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi/unionfs/unionfs6-p19-20070504.diff

patch and have a problem with devfs mounted over unionfs.

I made a testsetup in March where I used a 6.2-STABLE at that
time without additional patches. On the testsystem it works fine.

On the new system, devfs does not work, a devfs mounted
below some unionfs mount point can be seen in df and mount,
but no device nodes appear in ..../dev/.

Let me explain in more detail:

I mount a template of a jail using unionfs:

/sbin/mount -t unionfs -o noatime,below /vserv/template/stage2 /vserv/somehost

Then I mount the necessary devfs:

mount_devfs devfs /vserv/somehost/dev

In parallel, I mount a devfs somewhere else:

mount_devfs devfs /mnt

Both mounts show up:

# mount
/dev/ad4s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad4s1f on /vserv (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad4s1d on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad4s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
linprocfs on /usr/compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
<below>:/vserv/template/stage2 on /vserv/somehost (unionfs, local, noatime)
devfs on /vserv/ns2.vistec.net/dev (devfs, local)
devfs on /mnt (devfs, local)

But: no files in the devfs below the unionfs mount point, while
on the other point, plenty of files appear:

# ls -la /vserv/ns2.vistec.net/dev/ | wc -l
       3
# ls -la /mnt/ | wc -l
     100

Is this some bug with devfs and the recent unionfs patch ?

--
pi at c0mplx.org           +49 171 3101372                        13 years to go !