RTC clock doesn't generate interrupts

Victor Balada Diaz victor at bsdes.net
Thu Jun 14 21:22:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 04:55:32PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-May-20 21:38:09 +0200, Victor Balada Diaz <victor at bsdes.net> wrote:
> >I tried the machdep.adjkerntz trick and didn't work very well.
> >If i'm on 0 irqs per second after changing the value i get 1
> >irq per second. If i'm on 20 i get 21, and so on.
>
> The machdep.adjkerntz trick works by reading the status register -
> which implicitly acknowledges the interrupt and allows further
> interrupts to be generated.  I can't explain how this would effectivly
> increase the interrupt frequency by 1Hz.  Is is possible your CMOS
> battery is dead?

After waiting a few days to be sure the problem doesn't happen again
I can confirm that the problem was that the CMOS battery was dead.
Changed it and now it's working without any problems.

Is there any guide out there for tracking hardware failures? I
think that a chapter about hardware related problems could be
a great addition to the handbook.

Thanks a lot for your help!

--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.