atapicam and cd-rw problem, no cd0 but acd0 some error

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 14 10:42:25 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 20:34 +0200, Momchil Ivanov wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am running  6-STABLE as of today and I cannot use the CD-RW on my IBM T40 to
> burn CDs. When I put atapicam_load="YES" in loader.conf or compile it in the
> kernel I see the following error
> acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00 sks=0x40 0x00 0x01
> and no /dev/cd0 is created. I don`t see the above error without atapicam
> loaded or in kernel. This is not something new, I haven`t been able to
> get /dev/cd0 since more than a month following 6-STABLE, don`t know if it
> ever worked on 6 or 6.x, but I certainly cannot get it to work on 6-STABLE.
> Any help would be appreciated :) I would be happy ot be able to burn CDs.
>
> I have acd0: CDRW <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R9012/1121> at ata1-master UDMA33
> and camcontrol shows:
> <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R9012 1121>    at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass1)
>
> Thanks

The error message is benign - the controller tries to send a command to
the device, the device doesn't support it, so you get the error message.
That's all, everything else should work.

Do you load or compile into your kernel
	device scbus
	device cd
	device atapicam

atapicam allows you to access ATAPI devices through the SCSI subsystem,
so you must ensure that you have a SCSI subsystem to access them
through.

Cheers

Tom