upgrade 6.2 to xorg 7.2

Stephen Clark Stephen.Clark at seclark.us
Fri Jun 8 17:41:35 UTC 2007

Oliver Fromme wrote:

>Stephen Clark wrote:
> > Tom Evans wrote:
> > > Stephen Clark wrote:
> > > I'd read /usr/ports/UPDATING again, if you follow the exact instructions
> > >
> >                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have it printed out sitting right
> > in front of me.
>
>Then there shouldn't be any problem.
>
> > But what about this paragraph under caveats from /usr/ports/UPDATING:
> >
> > "Make sure you have the x11/xorg meta-port installed.  If you do not have
> >   this meta-port installed with X.Org 6.9, you will miss out on a lot of
> >   the new X.Org 7.2 sub-ports."
>
>Exactly what that paragraph says.  I've read your first
>email message again and I'm still unable to find out
>what your actual problem is.  What exactly is unclear
>to you, or what part of the update failed for you?
>(Please paste the error message if you got one.)
>
>Best regards
>   Oliver

There is a deadly embrace.

The /usr/src/UPDATING says I am going to miss out if I
don't have the meta port installed (which I currently don't), but when I
try to install
the meta port it tells me I should use portupgrade to upgrade Xorg, but
the /usr/src/UPDATING
which talks about using portupgrade says I am going to miss out if I
don't have the meta
port installed (which I currently don't), but when I try to install the
meta port it tells me I
should use portupgrade to upgrade Xorg, but.... ad infinitum!

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)