Unrecognized archive format with RELENG_6_2 and RELENG_6

Robin Gruyters r.gruyters at yirdis.nl
Thu Jun 7 13:35:01 UTC 2007

Quoting Tim Kientzle <kientzle at freebsd.org>:

>> After that I try to read/list the tar from tape with tar -t:
>> $ sudo tar -tf /dev/sa0
>> archive.dmp
>> tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
>>
>> But when I extract the archive from tape, it works perfectly:
>> $ sudo tar -xvf /dev/sa0
>> x archive.dmp
>
> What SCSI controller are you using?  This could
> conceivably be an issue with a particular SCSI
> controller.
>
> A few lines from 'dmesg' could help here.

Here you go

ciss0: <HP Smart Array 6i> port 0x4000-0x40ff mem
0xfdff0000-0xfdff1fff,0xfdf800
00-0xfdfbffff irq 51 at device 3.0 on pci4
ciss0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
..
sa0 at ciss0 bus 33 target 5 lun 0
sa0: <HP C7438A V312> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-3 device
sa0: 135.168MB/s transfers

<cut>
> P.S.  In the meantime, of course, tar from 6.1 and
> gtar should both work in this situation.

Yep, at the moment I have switched the tar release back to the one from 6.1.

Kind regards,

Robin Gruyters
Network and Security Engineer
Yirdis B.V.