Western Digital MyBook 250GB USB takes *really* long to be recognized

Marc UBM Bocklet ubm at u-boot-man.de
Wed Jun 6 21:41:22 UTC 2007

Hiho! ;-)

I just bought a Western Digital MyBook 250GB external USB 2.0 drive and
I stumbled upon the problem mentioned in:

kern/107495: Fix long wait before WD My Book 250GB (USB) is recognized

There's a patch attached to that PR, which I applied, but it didn't
help.

FreeBSD version is FreeBSD ubm.mine.nu 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE
4: Wed Jun  6 19:58:12 CEST 2007

Symptoms are as follows:

when I plug the drive in, it is immediately
recognized by umass as:

umass0: Western Digital External HDD, rev 2.00/1.08, addr 2

About 10 to 15 minutes later, cam kicks in and recognizes it as:

da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <WD 2500BB External 0108> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 238475MB (488397168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 30401C)

>From that point onwards, everything works fine, I just finished
rsyncing my entire home directory (about 40gb) to the disk with ehci
enabled.

I'm just curious if there is anything to be done about the long delay?
(not that I care that much, drive is attached to my "server", so it
won't be unplugged or be turned off very soon :-))

Thanks in advance! :-)

Bye
Marc