Unrecognized archive format with RELENG_6_2 and RELENG_6

Robin Gruyters r.gruyters at yirdis.nl
Wed Jun 6 07:58:23 UTC 2007

Quoting Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>:

> On Wednesday 06 June 2007 16:14, Robin Gruyters wrote:
>> Then a tar the file (with or without blocksize set) to tape:
>> $ sudo tar -cf /dev/sa0 archive.dmp
>> $
>>
>> After that I try to read/list the tar from tape with tar -t:
>> $ sudo mt -f /dev/sa0 rewind
>> $ sudo tar -tf /dev/sa0
>> archive.dmp
>> tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
>> $
>>
>> I get strait away the "Unrecognized archive" message.
>>
>> But when I extract the archive from tape, it works perfectly:
>> $ sudo tar -xvf /dev/sa0
>> x archive.dmp
>> $
>>
>> I have tested this with libarchive and tar from RELENG_6 and
>> RELENG_6_2. No problems with libarchive and tar from RELENG_6_1.
>
> I did..
>
> tar -zcvf /dev/sa0 /boot
> tar -ztvf /dev/sa0
>
> tar -b 1 -zcvf /dev/sa0 /boot
> tar -b 1 -ztvf /dev/sa0
>
> tar -b 20 -zcvf /dev/sa0 /boot
> tar -b 20 -ztvf /dev/sa0
>
> tar -b 128 -zcvf /dev/sa0 /boot
> tar -b 128 -ztvf /dev/sa0
>
> And they work. The example you gave failed however, so do..
> tar -b 1 -cvf /dev/sa0 /boot
> tar -b 1 -tvf /dev/sa0
>
> tar -b 20 -cvf /dev/sa0 /boot
> tar -b 20 -tvf /dev/sa0
>
> tar -b 128 -cvf /dev/sa0 /boot
> tar -b 128 -tvf /dev/sa0
>
> Using dd to feed tar does work though. (I think this agrees with Robin's
> findings although the fact that it works with -z is curious)
>
> [cain 17:05] ~ >mt status
> Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> Current:  0x40                 variable       0        disabled
> ---------available modes---------
> 0:        0x40                 variable       0        0x1
> 1:        0x40                 variable       0        0x1
> 2:        0x40                 variable       0        0x1
> 3:        0x40                 variable       0        0x1
> ---------------------------------
> Current Driver State: at rest.
> ---------------------------------
> File Number: 0  Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0
>
> This is a Tandberg TS400 (LTO2 drive, LTO1 tape)

idd, same problem here. When using -z option, works perfectly. Without
it, it fails.

Here is mine 'mt status' output:

$ sudo mt status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x47                 variable       0        DCLZ
---------available modes---------
0:        0x47                 variable       0        DCLZ
1:        0x47                 variable       0        DCLZ
2:        0x47                 variable       0        DCLZ
3:        0x47                 variable       0        DCLZ
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0

Our tapedrive is a "HP C7438A V312". (DAT)

Kind regards,

Robin Gruyters
Network and Security Engineer
Yirdis B.V.