release cycle

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 08:12:57 UTC 2007

On 29/05/07, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 09:17:57PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > Agreed.  6.3-RELEASE would nominally be due around July but the lack
> > of any schedule on http://www.freebsd.org/releng/ suggests that it will
> > be later than that.  The plans to start the 7.0-RELEASE cycle will also
> > impact this.
>
> At BSDCan, Ken Smith mentioned that 7.0 is due to be branched in July and
> released in Aug/Sep, with 6.3 quickly following (perhaps even overlapping
> so as to reuse the same ports freeze).
>
> The ports tree is not even close to stable enough to release right now.
>
> mcl

Given that Kris repeatedly tells me and others that the ports system
is only supported on the latest freebsd release (meaning one has to be
upgrading freebsd on their servers every few months to get this
support) if 7.0 and 6.3 are released around the same time will the
ports tree be supported on both?

Due to the fact the ports tree is only supported on the latest freebsd
release I propose longer release cycles for example not releasing 6.3
until 6.2 is almost EOL rather then having 2 releases overlap each
other because the current situation is there is a release that is
supported by the security team but not by the ports tree so it is a
half supported release, I also prefer slower major release cycles as
well but I keep been told no on that one :) eg. it would be nice if
7.0 was delayed a month or more to allow the full pf openbsd synch up
rather then leaving it because lack of time before 7.0 release.

Chris

Chris