mounting Solaris 10 NFS share

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 07:47:18 UTC 2007

> I'm trying to mount a Solaris 10 NFS share from my FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE
> machine and I'm having some permissions problems.
>
> Here's my /etc/dfs/dfstab file on Solaris 10.
>
> share -F nfs  -o rw=spark -d "generic" /export/home/mush
>
> and the line in /etc/fstab on FreeBSD:
>
> 192.168.0.26:/export/home/mush     /mnt/share     nfs    0     0
>
> I am able to mount the share but unable to access it on the FreeBSD
> machine. In fact I can't even cd into /mnt/share as root on FreeBSD.
> Changinf the dir's permissions to 0777 on Solaris does "fix" the
> problem but . . . it's not a solution.

As mentioned earlier it is probably a mismatch between uid/gid. And by
default root is *not* allowed access to nfs-shares unless you specify
map-root=root (freebsd-syntax) on your nfs-server, albeit this is
*not* recommended as well to grant root access to nfs.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare