powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Sat Jul 28 12:16:47 UTC 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007 08:40:33 Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 08:33:55AM -0300, JoaoBR wrote:
> > my ok msg was too fast, after some time my video starts flickering and
> > stays so and the PC is freezed up, disabling powerd and works stable
> >
> > until it freeze cpu frequency shifting is done well
> >
> > manually I can set all cpu speeds and seems to stay stable on each
> >
> > must be related to X because I have some servers without X but
> > cpufreq+smp+powerd running absolutely stable
>
> Did you ever try to measure the difference in power consumption of the
> whole PC, so you know all the trouble actually is worth anything? :-)

yup I did, probably not exactly the issue if you use a computer from time to
time at home but if you have 200 running 24x7 things change

Anyway I understand what you try to say but powerconsumption is not the only
reason for using powerd

there are secondary issues as PS, cooler and fan lifetimes for example, lower
air conditioning costs also come in here

fan noise is one of the interesting issues for home users or for whom likes it
quiet in the office

--

João