SCSI error during boot

Uffe R. B. Andersen urb at twe.net
Fri Jul 20 21:47:36 UTC 2007

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 11:26:33PM +0200, Uffe R. B. Andersen wrote:
>> When I boot my FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p6, I get the following error:
>>
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): Vendor Specific Command. CDB: 85 8 e 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 e c 0
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalid command operation code: Command byte 0 is invalid
>> {snip}
>> pass0: <QUANTUM ATLAS_V_18_WLS 0230> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
>
> Your drive is a Quantum/Maxtor/Seagate Atlas V (presumably 10Krpm).

Correct, it's about 8 years old, Quantum on the label.

<snip>

> The bottom line here is that your drive doesn't support a specific SCSI
> command that's being submit to it.  In this case, it looks to be harmless.

That's nice to know, though I didn't expect it to be critical, as the
disk has worked well for all 8 years, running with Windows 2000 and XP.

>> smartctl shows no errors on the disk, but this error occur:
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): MODE SENSE(06). CDB: 1a 0 19 0 40 0
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
>> (pass0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalid field in CDB: Command byte 2 is invalid
>
> That should only occur when you run smartctl.  SCSI operation
<snip>
> ASC 0x24 0x00 for this drive means Invalid Field in CDB.  Possibly
> this is a drive firmware bug or simply an implementation difference;
> I've seen similar reports from Seagate drives on Solaris when using
> smartctl -a /dev/rdsk/whatever.  The SMART results are shown, but it
> throws an invalid CDB error on the console.

Exactly what I experience.

>> I tried booting the server on a Fedora 7 Live cd, ran smartctl and got
>> no error, so I assume the error is in the FreeBSD drivers.
>
>> How do I proceed, to get a fix for this problem?
>
> It's not a "problem", but admittedly it should be fixed somehow.  The

So, who do I approach to get it fixed? I poked through the scsi quirks
page, but didn't find anything obvious...

> SCSI errors you get when using smartctl are something to discuss with
> Bruce Allen (author of smartmontools):
>
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Eventhough it does not appear when running smartctl from a Linux Live
cd, nor back when it was still running XP? It appears more like a
FreeBSD related issue to me, but I must admit that most of your
technical explanations are well above my level and I might have missed
some things.

Thanks for your answer anyway :)

- --
Med venlig hilsen - Sincerely