removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jul 19 15:01:19 UTC 2007

In message: <469F0B93.9020409 at gmx.de>
            "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de> writes:
: Oliver Fromme wrote:
: > Momchil Ivanov wrote:
: >  > On Wednesday 18 July 2007 15:52:42 [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
: >  > > Josh Paetzel wrote:
: >  > > > Yes, it's expected behavior.  The workaround is to not unplug mounted
: >  > > > devices. (There's nothing special about USB here, if you unplugged an
: >  > > > IDE drive you'd get the same behavior)
: >  > >
: >  > > Wouldn't it make some sense not to panic if mounted devices that are in
: >  > > sync get removed? A few applications might get in trouble, but that's
: >  > > hardly a reason to bring a whole system down.
: >  >
: >  > I don`t know how things work, but shutting down the system when some
: >  > mounted fs is no longer present seems like the wrong thing to me.
: >
: > As Josh wrote, it's expected.  The problem is known
: > to exist for a long time already (probably as long
: > as FreeBSD itself exists), and if there was an easy
: > solution, certainly someone would have fixed it.
:
: I remember on 5.3 I removed a mounted USB stick. The system did not panic, all
: I had to do was to plug the stick back in to be able to unmount it. So the
: behaviour has been more tolerant, in the past.

I'm pretty sure that 5.3 panics when you do this.  At least my 5.3
machine at work did last time I tried it, which was just last week.

Warner