removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 19 14:58:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 08:48:21AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20070718170559.GA11915 at eos.sc1.parodius.com>
>             Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org> writes:
> : If someone wants to work on this and needs devices/toys (thumb drives,
> : external enclosures + hard disks), let me know, I will be more than
> : happy to buy them the hardware needed.
>
> Willing to fund the work on it too?  This is a volunteer project, and
> you have to motivate people to work on this.

I'm one man with a single day job.  I only make so much money a year,
most of which goes to rent and co-location bills.  Remaining amounts
usually go to small hobby projects of mine, or donating money to folks
like phk@ to work on features that I'll benefit from (serial console
work comes to mind, ditto with BTX fixes).

What I'm saying is that I can't afford (literally -- I don't have the
cash) to pay someone US$40/hour for programming efforts (especially when
I know it'd be a 8-12 week job), but I *can* afford to donate a few
hundred bucks getting someone hardware who has the know-how to fix or
test things much better than myself.  Most of the time though I'm told
"I have the hardware I need -- it's a matter of finding the time!"

Ain't that the truth.  :-)

Besides working on ports (which I've been slacking on as of late), this
is how I try to help/contribute to the FreeBSD community.

> The best one can do without massive buffer cache work is what firewire
> does: it has one attachment to handle all umass devices.  When the
> device goes away, it pauses all operations to that device.  If the
> device comes back, it resumes the I/O .  If the device never comes
> back, then the I/O never finishes.

This sounds good.