removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jul 19 14:58:26 UTC 2007

In message: <20070718200937.GA15560 at eos.sc1.parodius.com>
            Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at freebsd.org> writes:
: This would alleviate concerns over data loss, would it not?

No.  The problem is more basic: the device *driver* is gone.  All the
code unwinding has happened.  The physical device is also gone, which
is what triggered the detach.  Doing synchronous writes wouldn't
help.  The next time the file system was touched, it would dereference
a device that no longer exists, giving random results, in this case a
crash.

Meaning no disrespect for enthusiastic users, I really wish that
people with "suggestions" would actually try to fix it themselves
before making such obviously wrong comments.  I have the right to say
this because I have tried to fix this, and have run into these issues.

Like I've said before, if it were easy, one of the dozen or so people
that have tried to fix it in the past 8 years would have succeeded.

Warner