removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Wed Jul 18 20:46:28 UTC 2007

Mark Linimon wrote:

> The reason is not the USB stack; the reason (IIRC) is that the FreeBSD
> VM was written with the default assumption that Devices Never Go Away.
> A large rewrite, I'm told, will be needed to fix this, and the code is
> convoluted and tricky.

I also feel that the "institutial knowledge" about the VM+VFS+UFS
conglomerate seems to be going away. There were many attempts to port
file systems to FreeBSD that have stopped dead once they've reached
read-only phase, and recent problems with UFS looked really ugly (I
don't even know if they are solved - I'm scared of filling up UFS drives
right now :) ). My first production ZFS panicked the other day so ZFS is
not yet the answer.

(And yes, I know I'm complaining without suggesting solutions).