removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Jul 18 17:34:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 10:05:59AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Bottom line here is that the kernel panics when removing a USB device
> that has filesystems mounted.

s/USB //

> I also have a hard time believing that the reason it hasn't been fixed
> is because "there isn't an easy fix".  I'm under the impression it
> hasn't been fixed because either no one cares enough to fix it (using
> the workaround as a scapegoat excuse), or because the majority of people
> do not use USB-based storage devices.

The reason is not the USB stack; the reason (IIRC) is that the FreeBSD
VM was written with the default assumption that Devices Never Go Away.
A large rewrite, I'm told, will be needed to fix this, and the code is
convoluted and tricky.

No one finds the situation acceptable; introducing the "scapegoat" word
isn't going to win you any support.  The problem is not a weekend's worth
of work to fix, nor does it have anything to do with avoidance by one
particular maintainer, which you apparently had encountered before.

mcl