Problems with named default configuration in 6-STABLE

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 17 08:16:03 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, 17. July 2007, Volker wrote:
> On 07/17/07 09:20, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> >> Hi Michael,
> >>
> >> If I understood you correctly, you can't resolve 8.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> >> anymore, and the line below (from default named.conf) is the cause:
> >>
> >> zone "168.192.in-addr.arpa"   { type master; file "master/empty.db"; };
> >
> > Yes - and this:
> >
> > zone "." {
> >         type slave;
>
> The root zone MUST be of type hint. You do not want to be a slave of
> the root... don't you? ;)

The new default configuration of named wants me to be.

But now that you've mentioned it, I finally saw the following lines in the
default named.conf:

---
        If you do not wish to slave these zones from the root servers
        use the entry below instead.
        zone "." { type hint; file "named.root"; };
---

I scanned over that before, but being a DNS n00b, I didn't understand what it
meant. So, that solves that. Still, quite a bit of editing required:
Commenting out the slaved root zone, moving out the root servers hint out of
a comment and commenting out the empty zone for my private use network to
make reverse lookups work again.

I think at least an UPDATING entry and maybe some more verbose and less
technical commenting in named.conf itself is warranted.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org