HOW TO: Enabling root on a new server?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 13 03:35:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 11:06:07PM -0400, Michael Williams wrote:
>  I recently purchased a co-located server from Cedant and need to enable the
>  root user.  It's running FreeBSD 6.1.  Currently there appears to be no root
>  user enabled on the server.  I can't even "su" to root.  I've tried using
>  "pw" to add my user to "wheel" but I receive a warning informing me that I
>  must be root to even do such a thing.  You can see my quandary.  Please
>  advise.

FreeBSD, out-of-the-box, definitely includes user "root", and there is
no password (unless during the installation you choose to set one).

This sounds like a question you should be talking to Cedant/your
provider about.  What you purchased may not be a real co-located box
that's personally dedicated to you -- it may be something shared with
other people, and something that Cedant maintains.  This is purely
speculative on my part, because I know nothing about their services.
But this really does sound like something specific to their servers.