rc.local equivalent

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Jul 12 23:15:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 01:47:53PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> There is a big difference between the current status, "rc.local is
> still supported, however you will probably get better results using
> local rc.d scripts;" and "This is going away, so stop using it."

The text from rc(8):

  The rc.local script contains commands which are pertinent only to a
  specific site.  Typically, the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ mechanism is used
  instead of rc.local these days but if you want to use rc.local, it is
  still supported.

I had earlier read that as "don't use this".  I would prefer we change
it to your text, which is clearer.

mcl