pmtud + ipnat RELENG_6_2 appears to be broken

Stephen Clark Stephen.Clark at seclark.us
Thu Jul 12 20:38:07 UTC 2007

Chuck Swiger wrote:

>On Jul 12, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Stephen Clark wrote:
>

>>Did something change in 6.2?  If my mtu size on rl0 is 1280 it won't
>>accept a larger incoming packet.
>>

>Nothing changed; that is the expected behavior.
>(Modulo support for 4-byte VLAN tags.)
>

>>kernel: rl0: discard oversize frame (ether type 800 flags 3 len
>>1514 > max
>>1294)
>>
>>I don't think it worked this way in the past.
>>

>Well, it did.  :-)
>

>>Won't this affect pmtud?
>>

>Nope.
>

>>man page for ifconfig says mtu limits size of "transmission" not
>>reception.
>>
>>    "mtu n   Set the maximum transmission unit of the interface to
>>n, default
>>            is interface specific."
>>

>The MTU is actually defined in reference to a network segment such as
>an "ethernet collision domain", and applies to all machines sending
>traffic to that segment.  If the MTU is really 1280, nobody else
>should be sending larger packets, and the drivers will drop any
>larger packets they receive and generate the appropriate ICMP error....

Hi Chuck,

First thanks for responding but thats the problem,
this  did't generate an icmp when the packet was dropped.

kernel: rl0: discard oversize frame (ether type 800 flags 3 len
1514 > max
1294)

This message did not result in any icmp packet.

I was running tcpdump looking for them.

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)