Unable to use my USB MP4 player: FreeBSD hangs

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Wed Jul 4 08:23:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:55:47 +0200, Dominique Goncalves
<dominique.goncalves at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 6/24/07, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.org> wrote:
>> "Dominique Goncalves" wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to connect my USB MP4 player to transfer some video and
>> > music files, but when I plug the player FreeBSD hangs at this point:
>>
>> You don't say, if, so I'll reccomend:
>>         Do turn on power before connectting to FreeBSD
>>         Do not rely on player detecting power & turning on.
>> Why:
>> I used to have hell of a problem before with my Clipman mp3 player
>> Problem was devd or usbd created & destroying things while listening
>> to wire one end, & the Clipman mp3 listening to wire & also doing
>> things, eg powering off or destroying /dev entries etc.
>>         http://berklix.com/~jhs/~jhs/txt/clipman/
>>
>> --
>> Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux.
>> http://berklix.com
>>  HTML mail unseen. Ihr Rauch=mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4
>> snuff.
>>

> I tried to connect my player powered before FreeBSD boots, it does not
> help unfortunately.

I had problems with a usb harddisk, which only worked if plugged in after
FreeBSD booted. The computer hang if I plugged it in before or while
FreeBSD was booting. After I disabled USB in the BIOS, FreeBSD still found
the usb devices, but the computer doesn't hang anymore. So I think I had a
conflict between my BIOS and FreeBSD both doing things with usb (or the
irq of usb, I don't know). BTW: this only happens with my us harddisk. My
usb bluetooth device doesn't have this.

You could try this also, but no garanties.

Ronald.

--
  Ronald Klop
  Amsterdam, The Netherlands