dumping large partition to USB drive fails

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 1 10:02:07 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 10:19:03AM +0200, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> On Wed, 27.06.2007 at 08:12:06 +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> > Unfortunately I can't check the drives with smartctl; they produce an SCSI
> > error. I'll try 'camcontrol defects', and see if that turns up anything.
>
> Please try with atausb. Remove umass/da/scsi from your kernel and add
> atausb. Might be worth a try.

I tested the disk by putting it in another computer and running the
manufacturer's diagnostic from the ultimate boot CD
(www.ultimatebootcd.com) and it was fine.

> Other than that, I wish FreeBSD could somehow translate those SMART
> commands, so it would work with USB/Firewire enclosures of all sorts.

It turned out that my enclosure used a USB/firewire chip with known
problems, the Prolific PL3507 which has a problem with large
transfers. I've ditched it.

Roland