BTX issues when booting from a USB CD-ROM

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Jan 22 19:37:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:54:33 -0800
Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Does the GRUB bootloader behave this way?  If not (e.g. it works),
> then one could use that as an alternative to btx.

Don't know, I haven't tested it.
I have tested the NetBSD boot loader, and it behaves in the same way as
the FreeBSD boot loader.
Like this:
(FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD installed on different partitions on the
same usb hard drive. Using  "F12" on laptop bootup to get a boot menu,
then selecting the usb hard drive, whivj brings up the boot loader on
that usb hard drive)
FreeBSD boot loader: boots NetBSD, OpenBSD, but not FreeBSD
NetBSD boot loader: boots NetBSD, OpenBSD, but not FreeBSD

See messages with the subject "Install FreeBSD on an external (usb) hard
drive?" in the archives of freebsd-mobile for more information.

I hope  I don't need to test grub. Everytime I try it, I end up having
to recover something (probably my fault). I'm really not comfortable
with grub.
--
Regards
Torfinn Ingolfsen,