IPv6 problems with 6.2-RELEASE ?

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 22 17:52:34 UTC 2007

If memory serves me right, Pete French wrote:
>> 2) rtsol(8) is used to initiate stateless autoconfiguration.  You might=20
>> want to try "rtsol -d interface".
>
> Aha... this does not work...
>
>> 3) Check the net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv sysctl.  ipv6_enable should take=20
>> care of this.
>
> ...because this is 0
>
> All of which appears to be because a spurious 'ipv6_gateway_enable="YES"'
> has found it's way into my rc.conf due to cut-n-paste. Which is
> interesting though, since even when I spotted it, it hadn;'t occurred
> to me that it would prevent the auto configuration working.

Ah yes, I remember stumbling over this (or some similar problem) many
years ago.  Machines that are configured as routers/gateways, as well as
multi-homed end-hosts, aren't supposed to use rtsol.

Also, accept_rtadv is usually 0...I think that our IPv6 startup scripts
toggle it to 1 just long enough to get a route advertisement and then
set it back to 0.

Bruce.