IPv6 problems with 6.2-RELEASE ?

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 21 07:02:53 UTC 2007

If memory serves me right, Max Laier wrote:
> On Sunday 21 January 2007 02:17, Pete French wrote:
>> I have a network with a 6.2-RELEASE machine as a gateway to
>> the outside world, and on the inside three machines hung off it,
>> running OSX, XPx64 and 6.2-RELEASE as well. The gateway machine
>> NATs the internal network under Ipv4 and runs IPv6 via 6to4. It
>> has routing advertised on the internal network.
>>
>> This *should* work - the OSX machine gets an IPv6 address and runs
>> fine. The Windows XP x64 machine also gets an IPv6 address, and
>> though it has problems with some wwebsites, it also basically works.
>> The only machine which refuses to work is the FreeBSD machine, which
>> refuses to acquire an IPv6 address!
>>
>> I find it very opuzzling, as this has worked in the past, and also
>> the one machine I nwould have thought I would have had no problems
>> with would have been the FreeBSD box - especially as the gateway
>> machine is running an identical OS!
>>
>> I am not even sure where to start debugging this - how can I make the
>> interface try and get an IPv6 address whilst watching what it is doing
>> ? Has anyone else had problems like this ?

For the record, I haven't.  I have a 6-STABLE machine built that does a
fine job of handing out prefixes to clients (MacOS X and FreeBSD 6.X)
doing stateless autoconfiguration.  Although come to think of it, I
haven't yet tested stateless autoconf with a 6.2 host lately.

> There has been some confusion a while back, I don't remember the details.
>
> As for debugging:
> 1) What do you have in rc.conf?  ipv6_enable should be set to "YES" and
> ipv6_network_interfaces should be "auto" or a list of the interfaces that
> should use IPv6.

One change that was made with 6.2-RELEASE is that ipv6_enable needs to
be set to "YES" in order for auto linklocal addresses to work
(previously they were on by default).  This change was made to improve
the security of systems in common IPv4-only configurations, but it
resulted in some unusual setups not working correctly.

> 2) rtsol(8) is used to initiate stateless autoconfiguration.  You might
> want to try "rtsol -d interface".
> 3) Check the net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv sysctl.  ipv6_enable should take
> care of this.
> 4) Check your firewall rules.

Maybe tcpdump(8) on the internal interface of the gateway box to see if
it's even getting the router solicitation message?

I have seen some problems with gif(4) tunnels, discussed in other
messages on this list, but this doesn't sound related to this situation.

Bruce.