kldload issue

Nicholas Hockey nhockey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 18:03:30 UTC 2007

i ran into an interesting problem last night. I was attempting to load
mac_seeotheruids into the running kernel, forgetting that i had not set
"options MAC" in the kernel and received a kind of misleading error.
instead of saying that i did not have the required components compiled
into the kernel, i was told that the file didn't exist, instead of being
told that i lacked mac support in my kernel. However i did receive the
error in my syslog. I don't see this as an error, or even problematic,
however i do believe that the error that kldload echo's should be more
intuitive as to the actual problem.

nebula# kldload /boot/kernel/mac_seeotheruids.ko
kldload: can't load /boot/kernel/mac_seeotheruids.ko: No such file or
directory
nebula# ls -al /boot/kernel/mac_seeotheruids.ko
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7465 Jan 19
16:51 /boot/kernel/mac_seeotheruids.ko
nebula# dmesg | grep -i mac_seeotheruids | uniq
KLD mac_seeotheruids.ko: depends on kernel_mac_support - not available

--
Nicholas Hockey <nhockey at gmail.com>