6.2 RELEASE - READ_DMA timed out

Andrei Kolu antik at bsd.ee
Sun Jan 14 15:49:49 UTC 2007

On Sunday, 14. January 2007 16:27, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> On 1/14/07, Peter Ankerstål <peter at pean.org> wrote:
> > ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out LBA=1000941
>
> This kind of errors usually denote a hardware problem, either at the
> disk or at the controller level.
> Check sysutils/smartmontools in the ports.

This is not a hardware problem, this is Flash cards limitation- most of flash
cards don't work with DMA at all.

You should turn off DMA on every Flash card that is connected directly to IDE
channel to boot up any operating system. I know there is some IDE2Flash
adapters that can work with DMA but they are twice or even more expensive
than el cheapo adapters most devices got.