2.4TB disk - MBR and GPT coexist?

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Fri Jan 12 03:03:59 UTC 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hmm, why can't you just make your controller create two logical arrays
> onto the one physical array? Doesnt the controller support this
> feature?

Not any one that I've ever seen in commodity disks.  Yes, on big
fiber channel disk cabinets.  No to 6-8 drive raid controllers.

>> Since we're going to be stuck with old BIOSes for a long time after
>> 2TB is a cheap disk drive at [store], is anyone considering doing
>> the work to make GPT co-exist with an MBR block?  It seems like the
>> obvious and sensible choice.  You boot from the MBR partition, and
>> then load the GPT module and access the remaining data after that...
>
> Is there a reason why we can't have a boot loader that boots off a GPT
> disk? Or is the problem with the bios?

My understanding is that BIOS expects 32-bit partition sizes.  So we
must have a 32-bit MBR partition for the BIOS to boot from.

I'm just wondering what it will take to make GPT (which in theory can
co-exist with MBR) work for the remainder of the drive?

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek