2.4TB disk - MBR and GPT coexist?

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Thu Jan 11 09:51:36 UTC 2007

So I have a raid array of 2.4TB.  And yes, I really need 2.4TB, and no
there's no room for another set of disks to boot from.
/    1g
/var 16g
/big **everything else

Sysinstall recognized the drive properly and everything looked dandy
during install.  However, it turns out that fdisk and bsdlabel both just
chopped off the last partition at 248GB.  (why 248gb and not 2tb?)

Reading the various mailing lists, it strikes me that I need to make
partition 1 be normal MBR, and then use GPT to create another partition
table in slice 2.  Makes sense to me.

How?  In theory this seems simple, but I can't figure out how to modify
the slices without fdisk, which won't play ball with the larger size.

And why 248GB anyway?  I'd almost be willing to lose the extra .4tb if
it just stopped at 2TB.  Why does it slap back down to 248gb?

NOTE: yes I already understand about PC BIOS and MBR, and not reading
GPT format.  The question is -- how do I make them coexist?

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek