6.x loosing record of free space after filesystem fills?

Guy Helmer ghelmer at palisadesys.com
Mon Jan 8 19:53:13 UTC 2007

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:45:59AM -0600, Guy Helmer wrote:
>
>> We're encountering some problems on FreeBSD 6.1 SMP [...].
>>
>> df shows wildly incorrect values for available
>> space, sometimes even showing more space available than there is allocated
>> to the partition[...]
> First I've heard of it.  May not be resolved unless a developer can
> reproduce it.
>
> Kris

I think we've finally found the cause of the problem - it wasn't just
occurring after heavy use, but was visible right after filesystem
creation!  We regularly built new filesystems with "newfs -U -O 1 -b
65536 -f 8192" (a couple of our older products are still based on
FreeBSD 4, so we built UFS1 filesystems for all our products).  It seems
that newfs with the -O1 option creates inconsistent metadata: fsck on a
large, newly-built UFS1 filesystem complains in phase 5 with "SUMMARY
INFORMATION BAD".  I've filed a PR on it.

Guy