make buildworld is always braking at various points

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Jan 8 16:15:41 UTC 2007

> From: Andrei Kolu <antik at bsd.ee>
> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:29:23 +0200
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> On Sunday, 7. January 2007 20:08, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-Jan-07 17:44:24 +0100, Christoph Illnar wrote:
> > >I keep having troubles compiling either 6.1-RELEASE and 6.2-RC2.
> > >I downloaded sources, extracted them with install.sh and did a cvsup.
> > >
> > >My installed system is 6.1-RELEASE and I keep trying to compile it on my
> > >own.
> >
> > Is the failure consistent?  I suspect you may have bad RAM.
> >
> > >===> lib/libpthread (all)
> > >
> [.......... lines suppressed ......]
>
> > >make: don't know how to make
> > >/usr/src.lib/libpthread/arch/i386/include/pthread_md.h. Stop
> > >*** Error code 2
> >
> > Note that:
> > 1) "/usr/src.lib/" does not normally exist;
> > 2)  "." and "/" differ by 1 bit;
> > 3) The cc line shows "-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/arch/i386/include";
> > 4) Compiling thr_condattr_init.c uses the same #include sequence to
> >    successfully load "pthread_md.h";
> > 5) None of the test build boxes are reporting any problems.
> >
> > Please try running a memory test, or swapping your RAM.
> I got similar problem with "faulty" PSU- Chieftec 410W. Memtest accepted RAM
> sticks- not a single error within 24h but when I started writing something
> onto raid then system rebooted randomly with various error messages. Changed
> PSU and all problems was gone. Same Chieftec 410W PSU works fine with other
> box.

This error is almost always attributed to RAM problems, for good
reason. That does not mean that RAM is the only source, though.

Almost any hardware issue can cause the problem. The power supply has
been a common source of problems in electronics since before most people
on this list were born (and probably before their parents were born) and
remains commonly overlooked when trouble shooting.

Another source can be temperature. I have an AMD K6-450 system which ran
solidly for a long time except for buildworld. Tested all of the RAM and
even swapped it out. Swapped out the power supply as well. The faults
while building word persisted.

I then tried monitoring the temperature of the CPU and that was the
problem. A better heat sink, properly installed with a THIN layer of
heat-sink grease fixed the problem.

The reality is that this error can be caused by almost any problem in
the mother board or power supply and may be the result of interaction of
components. This can make trouble shooting very tedious. I don't even
want to think of the issues of finding a problem caused by a poor solder
joint. :-(
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)