running mksnap_ffs

Michael Proto mike at jellydonut.org
Tue Jan 2 13:36:35 PST 2007

Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got the following Filesystem:
> Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity iused     ifree %iused
> /dev/da0a     1.3T    422G    823G    34%  565952 182833470    0%
>
> Running of a 3ware 9550, on a dual core Opteron 242 with 1Gb.
> The system is used as SMB/NFS server for my other systems here.
>
> I would like to make weekly snapshots, but manually running mksnap_ffs
> freezes access to the disk (I sort of expected that) but the process
> never terminates. So I let is sit overnight, but looking a gstat did not
> reveil any activity what so ever...
> The disk was not released, mksnap_ffs could not be terminated.
> And things resulted in me rebooting the system.
>
> So:
>  - How long should I expect making a snapshot to take:
>     5, 15, 30min, 1, 2 hour or even more???
>  - How do I diagnose the reason why it is not terminating?
>
> --WjW

For a point of reference, I have 2 300GB SerialATA disks in a RAID1
config that I take daily snapshots of.

df info:
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ar0s1d          283810134 160945668 117188264    58%    /r1

As of last night, this snapshot took 18m59.77s to complete.

-Proto