Problems installing JDK 1.5

Juergen Nickelsen ni at jnickelsen.de
Mon Feb 26 22:06:56 UTC 2007

Hello,

on a more or less newly installed machine with 5.5-STABLE (updated
recently) I tried to install JDK 1.5 via /usr/ports/. After
retrieving all necessary files, the build failed quite mysteriously,
even more so as I had succeeded with another machine fine last year.

In the build protocol the problems seem to begin like this:

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack location
/usr/ports/java/jdk15/work/control/build/bsd-i586/gensrc/sun/nio/cs/StandardChar\
sets.java:226: <identifier> expected

and then a series of other errors in the Java code; as if it is
compiled using the wrong compiler version. It looks weird to me, as
I think I fetched the correct files and did everything as carefully
as last year.

Is this a known problem? Does anyone know a way around it? Is the
port currently broken, perhaps?

Details can be found in <http://www.schlabun.org/screenlog.2>; and
I'll gladly provide more details if necessary.

Regards, Juergen.