Cannot obtain kernel dump in /var/crash

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 22 16:28:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 04:13:33PM +0200, Alexander Shikoff wrote:
> /etc/rc.d/dumpon creates symbolic link /dev/dumpdev. It's present in
> my /dev directory. I think a problem is somewhere deeply, probably
> with savecore(8). When a panic occurs I see in console process of
> dumping (size of RAM, number of pages, dump device etc.) and it's
> completely normal.

Anything shown on the actual console?  There's some error conditions
which emit messages via syslog() only (see lines ~278-286 of
src/sbin/savecore/savecore.c).

Also, any chance of output from savecore -f -vv?  There's some extra
debugging info which might come in handy (lines ~288 of
src/sbin/savecore/savecore.c).

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |