upgrade 5.4 -> 6.2 - rocketraid 2220 mixed up devices

yuval levy yuval_levy at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 20:20:18 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I just upgraded a bunch of boxes from FreeBSD 5.4 to
6.2. It went pretty smooth on most of them. One caused
me a headache. I report the solution here, hoping it
can save headache to somebody else and hoping that the
more knowledgeable people than me on this list can
help me understand the details of what happened and
why it happened.

In short: the devices were mixed up.

Before the upgrade the box had two RAIDs and a single
disk. After the upgrade and the installation of the
appropriate driver from highpoint-tech.com two of
three devices on the RR2220 were not properly
recognized.

Before the update:
/dev/da0s1 RAID one partition covering the whole disk
/dev/da1   RAID in dedicated mode
/dev/da2s1 JBOD one partition covering the whole disk

Update:
* CVsup to 6.2, buildworld, buildkernel installkernel,
mergemaster, installworld all went fine.
* installed the latest driver for FreeBSD 6 from the
manufacturer

After the update:
/dev/da0s1 RAID one partition covering the whole disk
/dev/da1   can't read superblock
/dev/da2s1 can't read superblock

Solution:
I used disktype to find out that da1 and da2 have been
swapped! I updated /etc/fstab and the system is fine.

Question:
what has changed the device's order and why?

thanks
Yuv