gmirror or ata problem

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Feb 15 10:09:40 UTC 2007

Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
 > I think this is a problem when the internal thermal recalibration takes too
 > long.
 > Consumer HDDs can be "offline" quiet some time, I don't have numbers handy,
 > but see Western Digitals explanation on their SATA RE (RaidEdition) Drives.
 > Again, no link handy, sorry.

That was certainly not the cause of the problem.  First,
the drives aren't "consumer" ones; they're specifically
for server usage and 24h availability.

Second, the problem affected only one drive out of four
identical ones (two machines with two drives each in a
gmirror configuration).  The other three drives never
had any problems whatsoever.

As I wrote recently, we replaced that drive and hadn't
had any problems since.  So it was indeed a hardware
problem with that particular  drive ...  And what ever
kind of problem it was, FreeBSD didn't seem to be able
to report it properly.

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"To this day, many C programmers believe that 'strong typing'
just means pounding extra hard on the keyboard."
        -- Peter van der Linden