What is a good choice of sata-ii raid controller for freebsd?

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 22:25:23 UTC 2007

One thing I would like to see is a list of favoured non-raid multiport cards
that are not dumb.  We have a server running a rocket RAID controller
(largely to get 8 ports of SATA).  It doesn't do hot swap, it doesn't do
SMART and I'm beginning to believe it might occasionally corrupt sectors
(very occasionally).

What I'd like to see is 4, 8 and 16 port JBOD controllers that work and are
reasonably priced.  I don't care about hardware RAID support (it is trivial
to create systems that can boot from multiple disks with geom --- it's in
the handbook).  I don't care if they appear as SCSI or ATA disks.... I just
want:

1) Hot swap
2) many ports
3) smartctl working