gjournal patch

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon Feb 12 19:44:55 UTC 2007

> Václav Haisman wrote:

> Hi,
> yesterday, I tried to build kernel and world with the gjournal patch. It
> does not apply cleanly. This brings me to question, are there some
> outstanding issues that prevent it from being commited to RELENG_6? I
> tried to search ml archives but I did not find any.

This is slightly OT, but I was looking at the AsiaBSDCon site yesterday
and I saw this:

http://asiabsdcon.org/timetable.html#P11

"This paper introduces Bluffs, a journaling file system that is mostly
compatible with the Fast File System (FFS) on disk structure. The FFS has
been successfully used for a long time. However increased disk capacities
have made the classic crash recovery using a file system checker (fsck) a
prohibitively time expensive operation. Soft Updates [4] and background
fsck were introduced to combat the problem but added code complexity to
FFS. Bluffs goal is to replace FFS by providing the same functionality as
FFS with better error recovery and a fresh simple code structure. Allowing
bidirectional migration of file systems between FFS and Bluffs format
should make transitioning easier, provides file system checker tools to
Bluffs and allows booting with the standard bootstrap loaders."

This is the first I've heard of this.  It seems to be coming from Yahoo!.

Anyone else know anything about this project?

Thanks,

Charles