pppd crashes, was: kde-freebsd] Question about KPPP on FreeBSD

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Feb 12 10:56:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:

 > There's information around PPP that's not been communicated or
 > documented well. The 'performance' way to do PPP on FreeBSD is to go off
 > and run MPD, because it has the right compromise between doing low-level
 > packet shunting in the kernel, whilst using Netgraph hooks to tap the
 > PPP control traffic handling off into userland.

On your first point, I'd not looked into MPD before because I'd assumed
it was _only_ about multilink PPP, thinking multi meant 'two or more', a
misconception not immediately dispelled by the descriptions in ports and
on sourceforge, until finding a bundle defined as 'one or more' links.

 > MPD is wicked cool, and is a well architected way to do things, but the
 > ultimate utility depends on how useful it is to everyone who might use it.

Just now installed mpd4 for a browse over the manuals and example confs
and scripts, and am completely gobsmacked by its clarity and scope.  To
call the scripting language 'chat' is indeed heavy-duty understatement,
and the examples alone seem to cover most of what I'll need to know.

I'd been mulling over ppp, ng and pppoed docs prior to doing PPPoE here
(currently hiding behind an ADSL router) but now know where to start.

Thanks!

Ian

(not at all helpful re the KPPP / pppd issue though, sorry Michael)