pppd crashes, was: kde-freebsd] Question about KPPP on FreeBSD

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 10 07:39:26 UTC 2007

On Saturday, 10. February 2007 07:34, Ian Smith wrote:

> Since once trying (and failing) to debug or even comprehend a spaghetti
> of scripts and configs behind a dialout-only linux pppd setup some years
> ago, compared to the much more straightforward ppp with mgetty setup for
> both dialout and some dialin modem lines I'd built pretty much from the
> FreeBSD Handbook even at 2.2.6 with nary a problem, regressing for sake
> of 'compatibility' with a linux-based sub-application seems silly.

Well, kppp makes configuring dialout easy. Or attempts to, at least. :)

> I agree with you about this not being a KPPP bug (though searching KDE
> bugs for 'kppp' provides no shortage of hits!) and appreciate that KDE
> people have no interest in catering for user ppp, since it's not linux,
> despite or perhaps because of its obvious superiority to FreeBSD people.
>
> Maybe at least the KPPP 'documentation', such as it is, could at least
> mention that it doesn't support FreeBSD's ppp over tun devices, to avoid
> the expectation that it should work that gave rise to this thread.

It kinda does. It says right in the about dialog and in the very first line of
its online help: "A dialer and front end for pppd".

> And yes, if pppd is broken and won't be fixed, it should disappear.

And when that happens, so will kppp (it won't build once the if_ppp.h header
is gone). Which of course would solve the problem in a way. In any case: I
dragged this issue onto -stable precisely to attract attention to the problem
and hopefully motivate someone to get down and write some code, whether for
pppd or kppp, I really don't care much.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org